Voices of Mornington Peninsula is committed to supporting an outstanding federal candidate who will represent with integrity the values of residents in the Flinders electorate.
To fulfil this objective, VMP is seeking expressions of interest from potential candidates who believe better democracy leads to better policy and a better future.
This presents an exciting opportunity for a resident to make a significant difference to our community and the nation.
Voices of Mornington Peninsula is committed to helping the community select that outstanding local to be the VMP endorsed and supported Independent candidate to stand at the next federal election.
To achieve the above, Voices of Mornington Peninsula is undertaking the following process:
- Gathering data from the residents of the Flinders electorate via surveys and kitchen table conversations to compile a report that identifies the key priorities and what it is expected of our political representative
- Advertise the search for an Independent candidate via printed and electronic mediums as well as VMP and community networks
- Receive expressions of interest
- Invite applications from the individuals who can fulfil the criteria (below)
- VMP Chair to confirm applicants meet required criteria, verify details and perform thorough background checks
- Directors to select a shortlist for consideration by VMP members
- A town hall style meeting to be held for the shortlisted candidates to present to the community and engage in a Q&A forum
- Provide VMP members with a voting method to establish the preferred candidate
- VMP directors to confirm members decision, endorse the chosen candidate and announce the results
In addition to meeting the requirements described in the VMP Independent Candidate advertisement, to be considered by VMP applicants must:
- Be a resident of the Flinders electorate
- Be eligible to be a candidate for the federal seat of Flinders as defined by the Australian Electoral Commission
- Model VMP’s values
- Comply with VMP’s code of conduct
- Understand Australia’s political system
- Have a professional career that provides the necessary skills and qualities to perform the role of Federal MP such as: strong interpersonal skills, confident and clear speaker, experience in negotiating, ability to work with and influence a broad range of stakeholders and leadership qualities.
- Hold a solid track-record of community involvement and representation
- Commit to listen to the electorate, represent their values and advocate for their key priorities (as outlined in the Voices of Mornington Report to be published early September)
- Understand the demands of public life
- Be accountable to the electorate and welcome scrutiny
- Maintain ongoing engagement and consultation with VMP and constituents with a particular focus on transparency
- Always act with integrity, compassion, fairness, kindness, and honesty
Kindly note that any information provided to [email protected] will be treated as strictly confidential by VMP Chair, Louise Page.
If you wish to nominate someone you believe to be a potential federal candidate, please send an email to [email protected] with the following information:
- Your name, email and contact number
- The name of the person you are nominating and their relationship to you
- Why you think they would make a good Independent candidate
The VMP Chair will follow up in confidence on all nominations received.
Expressions of interest
If you wish to indicate an expression of interest, please send an email to [email protected] with the following information:
- Your name, email and contact number
- Confirm that you have read the candidate criteria
- Provide a brief description of why you think you would make a good Independent candidate
You will be contacted by the VMP Chair to discuss your interest and agree on next steps.
If you wish to nominate yourself to stand as our Independent candidate to be endorsed and supported by Voices of Mornington Peninsula, please send your CV with covering letter that summarises suitability according to the candidate criteria to [email protected]